Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Bible

I don't know how else to say this but, I was just thinking the other day while in the bathroom that the Bible is like a comic book.  This idea was based on the cartoon I saw on Facebook once, and that I reposed of course, that trying to prove god with the bible is like trying to prove Superman with a comic book and it's all true!
Comic books depict entertaining (and sometimes not so much) stories about fictional characters that go through different adventures and some of them are series in which if you don't read the previous comic, you won't get the last one.  And the bible, the koran and most other mythical "scriptures" share certain characteristics with comic books, except in the bible comic, humankind is the lowest of the low for "betraying the Creator".  Isn't that sensationalistic and exciting? It sounds very exciting to me!
When God becomes disappointed in his own creation, he casts them out of the garden of Eden and makes them work to survive, it gives the women painful birth-giving and it gives men the burden of a job; I guess the writer didn't like working that much. Later, God gets angry again and wipes out almost every living thing on the land, saving only a handful of them along with two or seven specimens from the rest of the species. And stories like these can be found all over the bible; the Joseph story is quite good too. I must admit some were written with a lot of imagination and good taste; I do appreciate a good book whenever I come across one; except later, it goes on to listing boring genealogies of more fictional characters and sends “down” more prophets and then the stories and commandments contradict one another in some instances and that’s when it gets kind of boring because inconsistencies in a story are of bad taste.  Too many characters, too many stories in an ancient language that is hard on the mind; but then again, I found Harry Potter hard to read too, so I may not be a very good reader after all.
But in the end, if we read the Bible like a comic book, it may sometimes be boring and obnoxious, but if we remove the crappy stories and keep the good ones, the literary content could be great! And what makes the Bible a great peace of literature is the fact that it involves you and me in the story, we are part of it! Too bad that we don’t get to share the powers of the Almighty Yahweh or a character with my name parts the waters of the sea with a stick or brings down a temple with his bare hands or kills a giant with a stone.
I think I’ll start reading the book of the dead from the Egyptians now, I’ve heard it’s got some pretty good stuff too; I hope it’s more entertaining than the boring stories of the bible, but only the boring ones, I’ll keep the good ones  J

No comments:

Post a Comment